19. října 2023

TETSUGAKU 51 : HEALTH, LOVE OF BEAUTY

 


 tetsu-san, are you normally health conscious?
[Hmmm, I think I have to be, but I can’t be.]
– In what ways do you have to be?
[I think meals are most important. One of the trainers at the gym I go to said so too, that although training and moving your body are important, meals are what’s most important. I think my eating habits are rather poor.]
– To compensate for that, do you take supplements?
[I do, but I don’t think it’s very healthy. I think that eating nothing but health food products ends up being unhealthy instead.]
– But, even though you say that, you have beautiful skin. No acne or anything.
[People honestly tell me that, but I think it’s totally not true. I get some~ Sometimes. But please don’t say acne, I’m young. Say pimples (laughs).]
– Pimples are when you’re under twenty (laughs). Actually, what do you do when you get a pimple?
[I fight. I crush them swiftly. It’s bad for my skin but that’s not a problem. I won’t allow them! How dare these things come up on my face without permission! Or something (laughs)]
– (laughs) Since you’re now into your mid-thirties, I expect you think about your age?
[I do. Even my going to a gym is connected to that sort of thought. Before, I went to a different gym sometimes, but since I switched to the one I go to now it feels much more genuine.]
– Well. You do know what’s good for your body. How many times a week do you go to the gym?
[The trainer tells me to come in twice a week, but that’s hard so I try to go once a week. But actually I’m not going that much (bitter laugh).]
– When you don’t go, isn’t your physical condition completely different?
[It is. It kinda feels like my muscles get dull. I don’t have any equipment at home so I don’t do anything.]
– Which machines do you like to work out on?
[I pretty much like all the machines. I hate running the most. Running is the only tiring part. I run for about 25 minutes. My heart rate is monitored, and a trainer is next to me, changing the speed after I’ve run for a certain span of time.]
– Sounds like something an athlete would do.
[That is what I do. I chose the course myself, and I didn’t know it at first but I do the same thing as pro athletes. So, I was wondering why it was so tiring, and I told the trainer “The rest of the training isn’t that tiring, but the running part is depressing,” so he told me “That can’t be helped. It’s a program nobody but a pro athlete will do.” You’re kidding~! I thought (laughs).]
– But there have been results to your hard work, right?
[Yeah, I trained just before “Shibuya Seven days 2003” and I didn’t get tired at all for the “Seven days”. Amazing results. So, yeah, I think I’ll keep it up.]
– You have a strong image as a “lover of beauty,” you know.
[I do have that image. In reality, I’m not like that though.]
– You can actually relax when your room is messy, you’re that kind of person?
[No? I relax more when things are clean, but it doesn’t have to be that clean, at my place. I have a lot of stuff, so it gets scattered. And so, even though I think having things be neat and pretty is admirable, I wouldn’t call myself a lover of beauty. Really, living in a hotel would be ideal. Having only the minimal necessities…… that sounds ideal, but of course that’s not sensible (laughs).]
– You actually admire a non-sensible lifestyle.
[Yeah, I do. It’s something I think about sometimes. For work, I have a lot of baggage, right? I’d take it all, rent a bigger warehouse, and keep it there (laughs), then go live in a hotel, that’d be fun. I even calculated a way for it to be cheap, cheaper than my rent (laughs).]
– Really?! Wouldn’t that be nice! So then, why don’t you do it?
[Yeah? But, after all…… I won’t throw stuff away, will I? I mean, if my stuff was in a warehouse, when I decide that “I don’t want this anymore” I have to go get rid of it, right? That would be such a pain……]
– Wahahaha! I see, I see.
[But, if I thought it over calmly for a looong time, looked at everything I own one thing at a time, and asked myself “Do I really need this? Do I need it to live?” I’d find nothing but stuff I can live without. I could probably live with just a few instruments and my computer.]
– That might be so. All the more reason to try it (laughs).
[It’s so simple. I wouldn’t have to clean, and when I got hungry I could just call room service. If I had a bit less baggage I’d really do it.]
– By the way, don’t you find it enriching to have things you like all around you?
[No, but, now, there are quite a few designer hotels, aren’t there? I think that’s not a problem at all.]
– The problem is baggage.
[But, well, I’ve moved so often, and I think from all that moving I’ve learned to cut down on luggage. This way, I wouldn’t even move once…… It’s been almost ten years since I came to Tokyo, and if I’d lived for ten years in the same place, I think it would have been awesome. I’d rent out the mansion next door to mine, and the next one down and so on.]
– So the whole floor would be yours, tetsu-san (laughs). How are your friend’s homes? When you go over and things are messy, does it bother you?
[It does. When someone’s house bothers me, it makes me want to clean their house.]
– It does! How come?
[I guess it’s because I can judge it calmly. I don’t get strange ideas, and I can see things calmly and ask “You don’t want this, right?” or “Wouldn’t it be neater if you did this that way?”]
– That means you could be irresponsible, too (laughs). But you don’t actually do much of that for yourself, do you?
[That’s why I’m not a lover of beauty. I’m a type A, so sometimes I have moments where I want to clean excessively, make everything pretty. Really, that happens several times a year.]
– If you start doing that, do you do it thoroughly?
[I do. But, that condition doesn’t last long. Just two or three days.]
– Even though you seem like you do a bit of cleaning every day. Like hanging up your jacket when you take it off, putting things away, you seem like you normally do that.
[I’m good for nothing. When I take something off I just leave it on a sofa or chair that happens to be nearby. I try to hang things up in the closet, when I remember to. I have a walk-in closet at my place, and it’s a pain to go in there (laughs).]
– Eeeh! (laughs) That’s so extravagant! I’m jealous!
[It’s inside my bedroom, but when I go into my bedroom I just leave things on the chair in there, like jackets or whatever. Opening that second door, going in there, I know I only have to walk a few steps extra, but it’s still a pain. Oh, and there’s a chair in my walk-in closet.]
– Ahahaha! I can see where this is going.
[Even when I go into the walk-in closet, I should put things up on hangers, but I just leave stuff on that chair instead.]
– Why not put things back where you found them? I understand. I’m the same way with CDs, but later when I feel like listening to a certain CD, I can’t find it, so you probably can’t find the clothes you want to wear, either.
[Yeah. And I forget, like “Oh, I have this CD?” Or I’ll buy the same CD two, three times. “I had it! Damn~” (laughs)]
– Would you like to improve that aspect of yourself?
[How I’m so sloppy? …… Mmmmm, well, that’s how it is, right? At the moment, I’m thinking “I gotta do things properly” but there’s no way I’m actually that horrible (laughs).]
– Interviewer : Honma Yuuko
Translated by Natalie Arnold

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat