31. října 2023

TETSUGAKU 40 : FRIENDS

 


– Back when you were in your teens, in your high school days, the group of friends you hung out with must have been overwhelmingly composed of band friends, wasn’t it?
[As far as the band lifestyle went, once I started living it, the group of people that I’d call friends turned into a group of guys with the same hobby pretty quickly. Guys who were in bands, or guys who were into music. I noticed that before long, I was surrounded by people with the same hobby as me.]
– In your middle school days, although you were interested in music, you hadn’t yet begun to direct yourself towards that lifestyle. What kind of friends did you spend time with back then?
[Guys who liked music, and I also had a group of anime buddies. Guys who were into anime. But, after I started high school, I only got involved in music related stuff, so pretty soon I wasn’t spending time with my old anime buddies at all.]
– To you, what kind of traits does a friend need to have? Do they have to have the same interests as you, so that you can relate to each other that way and enjoy the same things?
[That’s right. So in my case, music had to be important to them. The topic of conversation would turn to music all the time, so unless it was someone who played an instrument, or someone who knew a lot about music, we’d have nothing to talk about. Of course, I still had some friends from middle school that I kept in touch with. After school, when class let out, we’d go to the arcade or go see a movie, or we’d go bowling together. I usually had friends to do that sort of thing with. But then, in high school, I always had band practice on the weekends, and sometimes a live show. I had no time for my school friends other than right after class. Among my school friends, though, there wasn’t anyone in my class who could talk about music with the same level of interest I did.]
– If there was no one in your class who was as interested in music as you were, how did you manage to find friends who could discuss that topic with you?
[I went to live houses. “You in a band?” “Me? Bass.” Talking like that, I made friends with people in other bands.]
– By going to places where music lovers gather, you gave yourself the opportunity to actively call out to them and speak with them.
[Right. In places like that, even if I only made one friend with the same interests as me, my network of friends would still expand from there, you know? Meeting friends of friends, and so on. Even just going to my friend’s shows; their other friends came, too. It feels natural to progress that way.]
– Are there any of your former band mates, or any of your old music friends, who you’ve maintained a relationship with until now?
[There are. Quite a few. Out of all of us, I think the only ones who work in music for a living are me and ken-chan, though. Some of them still play an instrument as a hobby, though. Some of them even have indie CDs out.]
– Interviewer : Toujou Sachie
Translated by Natalie Arnold

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat