20. února 2022

“GOOD LUCK MY WAY” Special Site ~Interview with hyde~ (2011)

 


excite: “GOOD LUCK MY WAY” was composed by tetsuya-san. What did you think when you first heard his demo?
hyde: That it’s a “Hagane” (“Full Metal Alchemist”)-like song. I also thought tecchan (tetsuya) is a great melody maker for having created a song that fulfills the request.
excite: The lyrics you wrote also fits nicely with L’Arc~en~Ciel, which has reached its 20th anniversary, and the worldview of “Full Metal Alchemist.”
hyde: It just happened to turn out that way. It happened to be at a time like this, so it made me want to incorporate those elements into the song as well. It’s kind of similar to writing a song about sakura in the spring (laughs).
excite: The phrase “GOOD LUCK MY WAY,” which is also the song title, is very impressionable. Where did these words come from?
hyde: From the progression of the song, I thought there needed to be some sort of signature line, and that’s how I came up with “GOOD LUCK MY WAY.” I originally intended to use it somewhere else, but there was an opinion that it would be better placed where it is now, and so it came out in that way.
excite: It’s a perfect line for L’Arc~en~Ciel, since you have just reached your 20th year.
hyde: The movie director told us when our song would be used, and that scene matched up with the current L’Arc~en~Ciel, so I thought it would fit in. It is basically about the relationship between the band and our fans, and how there’ll be no problem if we just keep moving forward to the next place.
excite: There is a phrase “haruka na niji wo koete [= going beyond the distant rainbow]” in the lyrics, but were these words chosen because it is currently L’Arc~en~Ciel’s 20th year?
hyde: Yes. I did want to use the word “rainbow.”
excite: I felt the lyrics, vocals, the ring to the word, and rhythm became one and comes at you deeply. Was that intentional?
hyde: I wanted to choose words that feel good when I’m singing. It was important to choose words that fit comfortably in a certain place.
excite: When I listened to it, I felt a katharsis.
hyde: Since it’s a single for our 20th anniversary, the song’s mood is important too but I think I also wanted to finish it off with a comfortable worldview.
excite: I like how the improvisation in the beginning gives you the feeling of being at a live performance.
hyde: That’s from the demo take. I always say something before I start singing, and that voice was used as it is. I tried to copy that in the real take but it kept turning out unnatural and I couldn’t exceed the naturalness of the original (laughs).
excite: This was the first piece you have recorded in 2011, so how did you feel when you entered the recording studio?
hyde: I felt I had to show that I’ve grown and that I’d look really bad if I sang badly, since I haven’t sang for L’Arc~en~Ciel in a while. You know how we’ve all been doing solo work and the others have improved their singing. So I couldn’t mess it up (laughs).
excite: I thought you showed a variety of expressions through your voice, such as softness, smoothness, and toughness.
hyde: I recently realized my strength in singing is my ability to express myself, so I wanted to do that to the fullest.
excite: By recently you mean?
hyde: This recording was also a factor. When I sang the song listening to tecchan’s demo, it sort of becomes like him, and my voice ended up being the nice and clear tone that he has. But I thought that wasn’t what tecchan wanted from me and that it wasn’t how he wanted me to sing it. Then, when I tried a different approach, he said, “bring out the poison more.” The “Shinjiru michi e [= toward the path I believe in]” was also tecchan’s voice so it was more clearer, but when I added some strain, he said, “Do it more,” so I felt, “that’s what he wants, I wasn’t wrong.”
excite: So it means you are conscious of your style and your ability to express.
hyde: After I realized that this is my style, I’ve started to take that into account more. I think I’ve been careful of that this past year. I understand my own style now.
excite: You’ve come to realize this because of your activities in VAMPS as well?
hyde: Yes. The type of vocalization in VAMPS is different from L’Arc~en~Ciel, so I’m doing some rougher things, but there are things that are hard to express with just that and there are parts where that isn’t me. When I thought about what makes my voice different, I thought it was my ability to express myself in a variety of ways unlike other people. Then, I thought I should show that more in L’Arc~en~Ciel. There’s a part of me that admires the harder vocalists, but I thought I should use what’s good about my voice without focusing on that. It just means I’m doing what’s obvious.
excite: I think it’s great how you are still progressing even at your 20th year. I heard yukihiro-san changed the way he drums and ken-san has changed the maker of his guitar. Could this be a coincidence?
hyde: In comparison to the others, I think the speed of my progress is slower. ken-chan is always thinking about how he can play more comfortably, but in my case, it’s more like I’m just now beginning to think about it. I feel like it has taken me twenty years to realize something someone else would have realized in ten years. It’s only recently that I have begun to feel that singing is fun. It wasn’t fun at all before.
excite: Eh, is that so?
hyde: I think I was having a hard time because I wasn’t putting much thought into it. There was a part of me that always thought, what’s so fun about using my voice. There was also a part of me that believe it was my fate to sing. Or singing was there as a part of creating a piece of art. I kept wondering what was so good about singing, but after I started thinking as I sing, I came to realize that singing is actually quite fun (laughs). Then I became a better singer, and when I improved, I started thinking about how I could keep improving. Everything just feels better when you take it seriously. On my 20th year, I’ve finally realized that. My throat has been trained thoroughly through VAMPS and even if I sing for a long time, I can still sing nicely. I think that’s also another reason why I think it’s fun. So I’m having the most fun at the rehearsal right now (rehearsal for “20th L’Anniversary Live”).
excite: P’UNK~EN~CIEL’s “metropolis -2011-” is also included as the coupling song. How did you play the guitar for this cover?
hyde: Basically, the person who makes the demo takes initiative, and this time, tecchan produced it, so we just supported what he wanted to do. I copied tecchan’s demo and I got a little creative and added some roughness.
excite: I thought the guitar solo was solid with a lot of emotion squeezed into it, but was that you?
hyde: I came up with the guitar solo. In the sheet music, it only said “solo,” so I had to. The guitar solo is close to the melody so I put what came to mind into shape.
excite: And what will happen from 20th L’Anniversary Live and onward?
hyde: After the live, we’ll probably start recording again so I hope we can finish it and transition into the tour.
excite: What kind of songs would you like to compose?
hyde: Our coming releases will be songs released as our 20th anniversary work, so I’d like to work hard on creating them. I’d like these song to be appraised at our next tour.

Zdroj:https://jrocktrans.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/jun-2011-good-luck-my-way-special-site-25/

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat