4. července 2024

GQ Japan Interview: Mackenyu Arata x HUBLOT

 


“Right now I am having the most fun and at my happiest. I’m living my dream,” Mackenyu Arata, a man who continues to challenge himself.

"If the world around you doesn't change, then it's better to change yourself," actor Mackenyu Arata who left Japan with that mindset, resonates with HUBLOT, a brand that continues to challenge. What kind of scenery does the 26-year-old who had challenged the world see now?

“I’m the kind of person who doesn’t mind eating curry every day,” Mackenyu said of himself. He doesn't have a lot of material desires, and says that as long as he likes something, that's enough. The watch he has been using for the past two years is the Hublot Classic Fusion Black Magic.

"It's the first watch that I thought was cool and I wanted it. It's not really flashy or big, it's elegant but it has a presence. My father was always wearing a watch, so growing up, I thought it was natural to wear a wristwatch. I always wear it when I'm not working as my 'buddy' I spend my precious time with."

In 2020 Mackenyu decided to be active overseas. He had been challenging the world a year later.

"The impact of the coronavirus was a big factor in giving me time to think for myself. Since my teenage years my work schedule has always been packed, so I didn't really have time to reflect on myself. I would be filming a movie in the morning, and a drama series in the afternoon. At the same time I would also attend interviews for publicity. I was living a life where I could only sleep on the move. During the pandemic, I spent time with my family and friends, and also with myself. As I engage in my hobbies, I realized that I enjoy this kind of time, and I think its important to have them. Up until that point I've always had this anxiety, that if I'm not constantly working, I would disappear. But really there's no need to feel that way. That time made me think that I want to enjoy myself more, both at work and in life. I reflected on this and it had influenced me in the way I work and how I make decisions. I've realized that I should be doing what I want to do and just do what I want to do."

Born and raised in the US, he has the "weapon" of English. Temporarily stopping his activities in Japan to challenge himself overseas, what awaits him were the Hollywood's adaptation of Saint Seiya "Knights of the Zodiac" and the Netflix series "One Piece" (both scheduled to be released in 2023).

"I wonder if I was scared when I accepted the role back then... I don't remember (laughs). Anyway, working abroad was fun. The scale of the work is different from Japan. A huge number of people risk their lives to make a series with a budget that is 100 times bigger than that in Japan, and the degree of their commitment is just incredible. I'm already happy just being there among those people. Moreover, the working environment is set in order, the cast and staff have time to rest properly. So when work begins, everyone is in good spirit and they work wholeheartedly. To be honest, this is completely different than in Japan. In Japan, even when I take care of my health properly, it wasn't easy to get rid of my fatigues from work. But I'm really healthy now though (laughs). I realized that there's a world where I can be an actor under those circumstances."

In Knights of the Zodiac, he was chosen as the lead. His overseas career took off with a smooth start.

"It feels like I'm living my dream. Right now I am having the most fun and at my happiest. I had the opportunity to check the finished movie footage. I was taken aback. When a team of first class professionals work together, we can achieve this quality. I couldn't be any happier to be the lead in this movie. I can't wait to see the final movie, and I'd like everyone to watch it too. I'd like people to feel inspired when they see me in that movie. That I represent Japan, and challenge the world as a Japanese actor. I don't plan to convey big messages like encouraging people to revitalize Japan or anything, but if we could break out of our shells and jump out of it, there's this incredible world that awaits you. To instill that kind of mindset alone already makes me happy."

 Zdroj:https://www.tumblr.com/mackenyu-archives


Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat