5. ledna 2024

TETSUGAKU 22 : ABOUT LOVE

 


– About love : is it something you think about regularly?
[I do. Love…… Whether it’s people or my work, love is what makes everything come together. It’s something I feel coming from my staff, my parents and friends, and from my fans, too. But as an individual, I don’t get much love. Love is all-encompassing; it’s a big, important thing.]
– I get the impression it takes a long time before you express your love, tetsu-san.
[That’s the case when it comes to my co-workers and friends. But it’s not the same when it comes to women. Sometimes I can get quite lovey-dovey.]
– How about with your family?
[There isn’t much to say about that. I only see them once every few months. And my mom isn’t the type to call constantly, either.]
– She doesn’t say things like “Have you been eating breakfast?” at all?
[It used to mean “Do you have enough money to afford breakfast?” but these days there’s no need to ask. I don’t think I’ll run out of money for food any time soon (laughs). Really, I only call her when I need to.]
– So it’s a rather distant relationship?
[Well, you know, I’m an adult, and a man. Even if we just wonder “I hope you’re doing well,” about each other, I still think it’s love. Parents and children need to part, eventually. There are many parents who can’t let go of their kids, right? I think once a kid is about 18, they need to let go. Even though it’s tough.]
– In order to become independent?
[Yeah. They should at least pay to keep living with their parents. That way they’ll have less of an adjustment to make once they move out and start living on their own. And they shouldn’t keep living with their parents after getting married. By that age, parents retire, so the kids shouldn’t still be bothering them. Be independent! Strike out on your own! That’s how it should be. For businesses as well as households (laughs).]
– (laughs) So that’s the kind of parent you’ll be in the future, tetsu-san.
[I’d turn out that way. Besides, cutesy, goody-goody children go bad once they’re big, right? Then they always rely on their parents to bail them out. Normally, the parents expect to die first. It’s only human for them to worry about what’s gonna happen to their kids after they’re gone, but those kids should learn to be responsible for themselves, right?]
– It’s a compromise between love and dignity.
[A certain degree of dignity is necessary. Otherwise, if you experience nothing but family life and school life, you won’t be cut out for the working world.]
– So it’s a rite of passage. This is changing the subject, but have you ever had any pets?
[I had a dog during all of elementary school. It was my parents’ dog, but I don’t have any particularly cute memories of it. I haven’t had a pet since I’ve been on my own. It’s because I’m away from home a lot. Musicians who say “I’ve got a pet,” usually think it’s good to have someone to live with (laughs). At least, that’s what I’ve seen.]
– Ahaha! Do you think you’d like to get a pet?
[Yeah. If I were to get married and live in a house with a yard, I think I’d get a huuuge dog. See, if I were married, my wife would be there to take it for walks and look after it (laughs). No, it’s not that I don’t want to take care of it, but with the type of work I do it would be physically impossible.]
– You don’t think you’ll get a pet as long as you live in an apartment?
[Right. In an apartment, it would annoy the neighbours. Like by stinking up the elevator, or making lots of noise. My building doesn’t allow pets, and I never thought I’d be getting one anyway. I’m not interested in getting a pet unless I have a house with a yard and someone to take care of it.]
– What are your thoughts on love for a pet?
[Lots of people buy pets lightheartedly, as if they were children, right? Going “Aaah~ it’s cute!” without really thinking. I think that’s just wrong. It’s a living thing, so don’t just buy it because it’s cute, you know? You have to be sure to feed it, take it for walks, and clean up when it goes to the bathroom. In the end, pets that go to careless people get horribly neglected. I feel sorry for those pets.]
– It really is irresponsible.
[After all, love requires “responsibility.” Not just for people or for jobs, it applies to pets too. They really do require a lot of love, so I think you shouldn’t get a pet unless you’re prepared to take care of it until the very end. I don’t think I can handle all those responsibilities, so I don’t have one. I haven’t got enough love to spare. Right now, I’m giving all my love to my work.]
-Interviewer : Harada Sachi
Translated by Natalie Arnold.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat