12. listopadu 2023

L’ARC~EN~CIEL AWAKE AT OSAKA – 14TH AUGUST 2005

 


This is the translated script of the radio show that aired on 14th August 2005 on FM Osaka’s Sunday Special. I translated this by ear, from an mp3 of the show. I strongly suggest listening to the mp3 of the show as you read along in order to get the best effect.
Begin
(The intro plays : part of Spirit Dreams Inside and STAY AWAY with a voice saying Welcome to Osaka)
hyde : L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka.
All : AWAKE at Osaka.
Voice : L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka.
Host : Good evening! Hamahira Kyouko here. It is now Sunday the 14th of August and the time is 8 pm. You’ve waited long enough! As of now we are broadcasting FM Osaka’s Sunday Special, L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka. The members of L’Arc~en~Ciel are here with us for an hour’s time and I think we’ll have a good time together. The members of L’Arc~en~Ciel have entered the studio. Please, let us hear your voices, one at a time! Good to have you!
tetsu : Good evening! … tetsu here.
Host : This is tetsu-san.
yukihiro : Konbanmi! (Note : A strange variation of Konbanwa, which means good evening)
yukihiro : (giggles) yukihiro here.
Host : (laughs) Konbanmi! yukihiro-san here.
hyde : Eh… That’s gonna be hard to say, later.
Host : (laughs)
hyde : Good evening. hyde here.
host : hyde-san here.
ken : Good evening! ken here!
Host : ken-san here! Good to have you!
All : Good to be here.
Host : And so let’s start off. Ah, we have many topics to cover. First, I think we should put on a song for everyone. Since this program is highlighting the album AWAKE, let’s start with the first number from there! Could we have the songwriter, yukihiro-san, introduce the song, please?
yukihiro : New World.
(New World plays)
Host : We have just heard L’Arc~en~Ciel’s New World. FM Osaka Sunday Special, L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka is in full swing. Once again, we welcome L’Arc~en~Ciel to our studio. It’s a pleasure to work with you!
All : It’s great to be here!
Host : While we were listening to New World, it seems tetsu-san was greatly enjoying his look out the window.
tetsu : Right, it’s a lovely view.
Host : Isn’t it? Thank you very much. It’s a point of pride, you know?
tetsu : It is!
Host : Since we’re on the seventh floor of the building. It can be rather dazzling. OK! Today is the 14th of August, it’s the middle of summer, it’s quite hot. Also, the movie, Fullmetal Alchemist : Conqueror of Shambala is in theatres. I think most listeners already know that. In fact, I already went to see it, myself. The opening theme to this movie happens to be L’Arc~en~Ciel’s Link. The single was released July 20th, and, ah… I’d like to ask hyde-san about this single.
hyde : Mm.
Host : When you were working on creating this single’s lyrics, what sort of things were influencing you most?
hyde : Hm, let’s see. I didn’t want to lose to the movie. The movie was made
very passionately, there are lots of stars involved, and I didn’t want to be defeated by that spirit. I thought it would be best to find a certain synergy, and work with that. Not to say that it depends entirely on the movie, but if the movie does well then so will this song. I wanted it to be a good song, too.
Host : Of course, you must be very familiar with the story of Fullmetal Alchemist, and I heard that you had meetings with the staff of the movie, too.
hyde : Yes, yes. I did.
Host : How about the title, Link? What’s the meaning behind it?
hyde : Hm, well, seeing the original, watching the videos and so on, what stands out is the bond between those two brothers, right? I thought that was wonderful. So I translated that bond into English.
Host : So… I’d like to hear about the other parts involved, as well. For the guitar, ken-san…
ken : Yes!
Host : About this number, Link.
ken : Yes.
Host : Could you tell us about what kind of feeling you get from performing this song?
ken : Yeah. It’s summer-like, so I played with a refreshing feel.
Host : Ah, it has a light and bouncy feel to it.
ken : It does, yeah.
Host : Hm, during the recording, how many guitars did you need?
ken : For that one, not many. More than just the one, so really just two. And once in a while I took out a third one.
Host : Ah, I see (laughs). And it seems there were two basses used. tetsu-san used two, right.
ken : Right, right.
Host : (In a different voice) Ah, so that’s how it is. Now let’s ask yukihiro-san.
yukihiro : Yes.
Host : As a drummer, what did you think of Link? What were you made aware of?
yukihiro : Um, I played with a springy feeling.
Host : Ah… And now the one who composed the song, tetsu-san.
tetsu : Yes.
Host : How was it this time? For this song.
tetsu : Oh yeah, well… Hm, since it’s an anime opening, I thought it should be a song little kids can enjoy, too.
Host : Hearing you mention young children just now reminds me… When I went to the the Fullmetal Alchemist movie at the theatre, how to explain… They had a showcase displaying the soundtrack, as well as Link, very prominently, and there were kids, elementary school aged, looking like they wanted it very much. And their moms got there, took out their wallets, and bought it for them.
tetsu : They must have been happy.
Host : Yes! They must have been. I think that this summer, and even later, this song will mean something to all kinds of people. Also, I’ve seen the promotion video. There were many different age groups making an appearance, as well as having all the members performing, so I thought it was very interesting. It even looked like you were playing from the bottom of the pool. I wondered how that must have been to film.
hyde : It was pretty tough.
Host : (laughs) Was it? It must have taken a long time (laughs). But, while you were making this promotional video, ken-san…
ken : I broke my foot midway through, yeah.
Host : During that video, right?
ken : By the time we were filming that pool scene, it was already broken so…
Host : Oh, was it?
ken : So I couldn’t stand on that foot (laughs).
Host : And so now that foot is recovering. I’m glad (laughs).
ken : I’ll remember…
Host : This promotion video (laughs). I’m sure you will.
ken : Yes.
Host : yukihiro-san, what were you up to during the making of this promotion video?
yukihiro : Eeehh….. I was worried about ken-chan.
Host : Hmmm…
ken : Liar! (laughter) You just played video games the whole time. (much laughing) Actually, the only game he played was Katamari Damacy.
Host : Yes yes yes.
ken : He played that.
Host : That’s the one with the rolling.
ken : That’s right. So, I was always there watching him. I saw him get very close to complete, but I didn’t get to see the end.
Host : Ohh…
ken : But, I was there until the end. (laughter)
Host : While he was worrying, he completed the game.
ken : Yeah, right.
Host : I see. Thank you very much. Now we’ve been talking about Link and discussing its promotion video, so I think we will now listen to L’Arc~en~Ciel’s latest single. It is also the opening theme to Fullmetal Alchemist : Conqueror of Shambala. L’Arc~en~Ciel, Link.
(Link plays)
Host : We have just heard Link by L’Arc~en~Ciel. Released July 20th, this is their most recent single. Today on FM Osaka Sunday Special we are broadcasting L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka. I am here with everyone from L’Arc~en~Ciel for a full hour. Now, moving on, also included with the Link single was a number from P’UNK~EN~CIEL. I think we’ll be hearing that, too. This time, it was a TETSU P’UNK production.
TETSU P’UNK : Yes.
Host : Ah yes, right now in the studio we actually have P’UNK~EN~CIEL.
TETSU P’UNK : (sighing) Yes.
Host: (laughs) It was a TETSU P’UNK-san production. As it was being produced, which points did you attach the most importance to?
TETSU P’UNK : Aahh…
Host : (laughs)
TETSU P’UNK : Uhhhhm… That stuff.
Host : (laughing)
TETSU P’UNK : Well yeah. Every time, one of us takes a turn producing the P’UNK song, for P’UNK~EN~CIEL. And it so happens that this time it’s my turn. So, yeah. That’s how it is.
Host : And the choice of which song to use was also up to you, TETSU P’UNK.
TETSU P’UNK : That’s right.
Host : Why did you choose to do this one, Promised Land?
TETSU P’UNK : Um… I wanted to sing it.
Host : Mmhmm, mmhmm, it’s just that there seems to be more of an unworried feeling to this 2005 version.
TETSU P’UNK : That’s true. Compared to the original, the key’s gone down a notch. Also, I tried singing it in falsetto.
Host : That’s what you meant by those whispers, earlier.
TETSU P’UNK : (whispery) That’s right…
Host : (also whispery) Speaking as TETSU P’UNK-san.
TETSU P’UNK : (still whispery) Yes, I need the practice…
Host : (laughs) Thank you very much! Let’s move on. With the questions. Of course, each of you are now playing or singing different parts than you do as L’Arc~en~Ciel, so I think it must also feel different. How did you first think up the idea to try performing with this setup? TETSU P’UNK-san.
TETSU P’UNK : It first started a long time ago. We would change parts a lot, like for the encore of a live. So it evolved from that.
Host : And how is it now? Since this makes it the fifth time, right? As P’UNK~EN~CIEL.
TETSU P’UNK : Yes, that’s right. Inexplicably, we’ve gotten good at it.
Host : That’s good.
Host : And… the other members too… Since the first piece of work as P’UNK~EN~CIEL, how do you think it has changed? What do you think, KEN P’UNK-san?
KEN P’UNK : As KEN P’UNK… I haven’t made any progress. (laughs)
Host : Really? But, you could have gotten advice from yukihiro-san since he wrote the original drum parts.
KEN P’UNK : We never talk about that (laughs).
Host : (lauhgs) yukihiro-san, what do you think of KEN P’UNK-san’s drumming?
yukihiro : It’s wonderful.
Host : Oh. He’s gotten better, of course, improving as you’ve gone through these last five productions.
yukihiro : Right. (laughs)
Host : There you have it, ken-san. I mean KEN P’UNK-san.
KEN P’UNK : Somehow, it’s like I can stay calmer now. It used to be that I couldn’t keep cool when I was drumming. As KEN P’UNK. Acquiring that composure is a big change, for KEN P’UNK. It’s totally unsettling.
Host : (laughs) Even though it’s unsettling, you still have fun with it, right?
KEN P’UNK : I can’t find out for sure.
Host : You play with all you’ve got?
KEN P’UNK : With all.. Um, er, it’s… it takes training.
Host : Aha.
KEN P’UNK : My heart grows prettier. Because of the training. It’s like when they walk on fire going “Papapa” (Note : I think he means a type of training monks do in order not to feel pain)
Host : (laughs) That really does take training.
KEN P’UNK : That kind of training. It’s a renewal.
Host : Putting your own body in a trance.
KEN P’UNK : Yeah. By getting rid of those human traits, you improve.
Host : (laughs) You do. But as KEN P’UNK, your performance is influenced by your experience as the guitarist, ken, right?
KEN P’UNK : Oh yeah, ken and KEN P’UNK are different people…
Host : Yes, right! So, please pass on my greetings to ken-san. (laughter)
Host : So, how about you, HYDE P’UNK-san?
HYDE P’UNK : Ah well.. kind of like what ken-chan said, except I don’t think I’ve gotten any more stoic (laughs).
Host : Oh… Ah, and now I think we will enjoy listening to the number from P’UNK~EN~CIEL that was included on the Link single, so let’s have the one who produced this song, TETSU P’UNK-san introduce the song.
TETSU P’UNK : Here’s Promised Land 2005 (Note : He said it as two zero zero five)
(Promised Land 2005 plays)
Host : Broadcasting from FM Osaka, this is Sunday Special : L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka. I’m your DJ, Hamahira Kyouko. The guests are, of course, L’Arc~en~Ciel’s hyde-san, yukihiro-san, tetsu-san and ken-san! It’s going fast. We’re already halfway through the program. I would like the remaining half to stand out even more than the first half. And so! As of August 6th, L’Arc~en~Ciel started up their AWAKE tour 2005 in Nagoya. They will also be giving us some shows here in Osaka. Those will be on Wednesday, August 17th, Thursday, August 18th, Saturday the 20th, and Sunday the 21st! That’s four days at Osaka-jo hall. Even more than last year’s SMILE tour. What can we expect to see during those four days? Before the actual lives come around, could you tell us a little something, hyde-san?
hyde : Eh, this time… Yeah, during the entertainment, I think it’ll be good to have a cool feeling going.
Host : Ohh…
hyde : Yeah.
Host : This tour is, of course, named for the album AWAKE, so I think it would be appropriate to take the talk in that direction. This is your tenth album as L’Arc~en~Ciel. While you were creating this piece of work, hyde-san, did you keep in mind that it was the tenth?
hyde : No, I didn’t. I only realized it later. When I noticed, it was just “Oh really?” and it was like a new realization. Like just another thing to make note of.
Host : Mmhmm, I see. It seems that creating this album took a particularly long time, or so I’ve heard. How did the recording go, as you made progress on this album AWAKE? Also, I’ve heard that ken-san was called the demon of the recording.
ken : I’m a demon?
Host : (laughs) So the rumours say.
ken : (laughs) Rumours go around the world…
Host : (laughs)
ken : Rumours make a lot of people out to be demons. (laughter)
Host : Like who?
ken : No one’s a demon, really.
Host : Although I’m sure all sorts of things must happen.
ken : Yeah. If you saw it all, you might find a demon (much laughter).
Host : Ok, other than that, ken-san, how was the recording for you this time around, for AWAKE?
ken : Oh, yeah… Umm, let’s see. I just tried to play this or that, somehow. And then, if it wasn’t working out I’d try something a little faster, and if not that then something shallow. Then I’d give, say, the shallow version a listen and do it again if that one was getting somewhere. So, by doing it that way, how can I put this, it feels like it caused a decrease in production.
Host : hyde-san, during this long recording process, twelve songs were produced, so did any piece in particular remain with you?
hyde : Ahh… Well, usually I always write the lyrics… Eh… None of them were easy to write (laughs).
Host : No easy spots (laughs).
hyde : That was kinda cold.
Host : (laughs)
ken : You know, I’d be thinking “Oh, hyde might change it!” and then he’d appear out of nowhere (laughter).
Host : He’d just be loitering around waiting to strike.
hyde : At first, I thought it would be good to stay close cause they’re hard to work with… This sounds like sucking up but, I’d stick around and suddenly be able to find lyrics for a song, right? But then, as soon as I did, I’d notice the drumming for a different song (laughter) and suddenly be stuck again.
Host : Mmhmm, mmhmm (laughs).
hyde : So I looked for all sorts of spots to work from.
Host : Ah. So you must have found your inspiration somewhere, well…
hyde : There was a spot I had to be in, or something like that. But it was cold there (laughter). On top, it was really really hot, but where I was it was totally freezing. Especially for my ears.
Host : I see.
hyde : I remember that.
Host : Ah, so while writing your lyrics, you were searching for the perfect spot. So! I understand that the one who came up with the album title AWAKE was also you, hyde-san. What does it mean to you?
hyde : Ah, well, first of all I wrote a lot of lyrics concerning love and peace. And so I kinda thought “How would it be if everyone awakened to this?”
Host : Ah, I see. The first song we heard on tonight’s broadcast, New World, it was also the first song on the album. Its lyrics were done by yukihiro-san, and the music is by yukihiro-san and hyde-san. It was also a single. This is what became the opening of the album. How does it feel to put on the album, and every time you put on AWAKE, you hear New World right away, yukihiro-san?
yukihiro : Mm… I… I thought it was good.
Host : Over and over again.
yukihiro : Yes.
Host : tetsu-san?
tetsu : Yes!
Host : About AWAKE. There was the creation process, then you saw it completed. Is there anything you still remember strongly about it?
tetsu : Uhmm… I kept on catching colds.
Host : Uh oh.
tetsu : It was amazing though, I’d say… That’s all I remember.
Host : I see. When you were recording, it was still the cold season, wasn’t it?
hyde : Yeah.
Host : So that’s why the room was cold, and why you caught colds.
tetsu : That’s right.
Host : I understand. Thank you very much. Now let’s listen to AWAKE. Also, you have these shows coming up at Osaka-jo hall, and I think the fans are greatly looking forward to them! Let’s now listen to two songs in a row taken from AWAKE. Let’s have ken-san introduce those two songs!
ken : OK! Here’s L’Arc~en~Ciel’s Killing Me and Jiyuu e no Shoutai. Enjoy!
(Killing Me and Jiyuu e no Shoutai play)
Host : We’ve just heard two songs from L’Arc~en~Ciel’s album AWAKE, Killing Me followed by Jiyuu e no Shoutai. This is FM Osaka Sunday Special L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka. We have been playing songs from L’Arc~en~Ciel’s album AWAKE. Eh… I think we will now continue talking about the upcoming AWAKE tour 2005. Each member can take a turn! The tour is approaching! tetsu-san?
tetsu : Ah… I, it’s not just before tours though. I always go to a gym.
Host : Oh… you do that regularly, right?
tetsu : Yeah.
Host : Mmmhmm. Well, I’d imagine you need to be in good condition to avoid getting exhausted after so many shows. Or else you’d collapse afterwards.
tetsu : Um, I started to go to the gym again about two years ago. Since then, it’s gotten a lot easier. Being on stage.
Host : Ah, of course. The benefits materialize.
Host : How about yukihiro-san?
yukihiro : Yes! Um, I … Before a tour, I worry. When the rehearsals for that tour start, my lifestyle naturally gets more ordered and organized. I think that’s a good thing. Yeah.
Host : Ordered and organized, do you mean that you have a set time to sleep, to get up, to have your meals and so on?
yukihiro : That’s right. I get tired at night, and sleep. Time passes quickly until the next rehearsal. Time to go places, eat, and stuff… It puts casual detail into my life. (laughter)
Host : So it ends up being important to you, doesn’t it?
yukihiro : Well, I’m the type to go for what I want.
Host: Eh…
hyde : Yeah, but sometimes he won’t come eat. (laughter)
Host : Whaat? Please, eat! (laughter)
yukihiro : Thanks (laughs).
hyde : I wonder if we’ll go together today…
Host : Oh please, be sure to eat lots of delicious food. So that you can play the drums as powerfully as you always do.
yukihiro : I do my best.
Host : Yes! (laughter) Also, yukihiro-san, it’s obvious from the crowd that they love you.
yukihiro : Thanks a lot.
Host : So, how about you, hyde-san?
hyde : Nothing, really.
Host : Oh? Same as always?
hyde : Mm.
Host : Mmhmm.
hyde : Nothing.
Host : ken-san, you?
ken : I don’t usually do this, but this time, well… I’ve had lots of spare time to watch DVDs. I rent some, take them back, and rent some more.
Host : Movies?
ken : What was it again? Gonsaun (Note : Or Konsaun? The title of a movie, presumably, but I don’t really know. This part is confusing since I don’t know what he’s talking about. Sorry!)
Host : With that rather macho guy…
ken : Eh? No, you’re thinking of something else (laughter). He tells them to look right in the middle, and then gave it to them.
Host : Oh, when they looked..
ken : Yeah.
Host: Thank you very much (laughs). And so, there will be lives at Osaka-jo hall, right? On Wednesday August 17th, Thursday August 18th, Saturday the 20th and Sunday the 21st. Four days at Osaka-jo hall! Of course, regrettably, the tickets are already sold out. For all the fans who were lucky enough to get tickets, I think you’ll have an absolutely great time! And when this tour is over, in September, L’Arc~en~Ciel will head into their Asia tour, called ASIA LIVE 2005. They will be doing lives in Shanghai and in Korea. This will be their first Asian tour.
Host : So, when it’s your first time doing a live somewhere, I imagine it must feel pretty different from doing an ordinary live, right? Let’s ask tetsu-san.
tetsu : Mmmm… the first time. Yeah, the first time…
Host : That’s right. Like for example, before, you did a live in Baltimore, America, right? It must have felt hugely different from how it is standing on a stage here in Japan.
tetsu : Well, not hugely. But, well, I had to look for menus that were easy to understand. That was on my mind, a bit. And I thought this was a first for a lot of people.
Host : This time in Shanghai and Korea, what do you think it will be like? What are you looking forward to?
tetsu : Um… yeah, I want lots of delicious food. That would be nice.
Host : Ah, good idea. As a Live Plus, you can go around sampling all that city’s good food.
Host : That was tetsu-san. How about you now, ken-san?
ken : Oh yeah. Once in a while, I get fan letters and stuff. Hm… things like… “I’m waiting for you,” “I want to go,” and so on… Things they want to see happen, you know?
Host : Of course, the Japanese L’Arc fans have many opportunities to have fun with you, and I think the local fans, there, are looking forward to seeing you, too. This should be another huge opportunity for them, all your fans. I’m sure all of them are thinking “Finally! L’Arc is coming!” And so, for example, you did America, and now Shanghai and Korea, you did America before. I kind of want to ask you : Where else would like to go do a live? Is there anywhere else you want to go? ken-san?
ken : Anywhere? Chile?
Host : Chile? How come? Ah… you’re enthusiastic about it.
ken : Yeah. And I’ve never been there. I wanna go.
Host : Oh… What about hyde-san?
hyde : Hmm… well, why not Chile?
Host : (laughs) Really Chile?
hyde : Yeah, next time we’ll go somewhere like that. (all laugh)
ken : Next time? (laughs)
Host : It seems yukihiro-san found something interesting. He’s laughing at the back. (He can be heard laughing in the background) yukihiro-san heard them saying “Chile, Chile.” Yes, yukihiro-san?
yukihiro : (laughs) Yeah, let’s go to Chile. (laughs)
Host : To Chile? (laughs) Just Chile?
yukihiro : No one else would think of Chile.
Host : tetsu-san…?
tetsu : Yeah, Chile. (laughter)
Host : So that’s it. Chile.
tetsu : Chile. Of course, we don’t have any plans. I think I’ll be really popular there (laughs). Give it half a year, and my popularity will be awesome.
Host : (laughs) I don’t really get it, but this is super interesting (laughs). Right. But it’s somewhere you’ve never been, so doing a live there, of course that would catch your interest.
ken : Yeah, that’s right.
Host : So it seems the next one will be Chile! (all laugh) Then someday, we will see L’Arc~en~Ciel Live in Chile.
(all laugh)
Host : Will it really happen?
(all laugh more)
Host : I think I’d like to go. Anyway… you’ll be playing this song during Asia tour, too, of course.
hyde : He wrote it while thinking of Chile.
Host : (laughs) ken-san did?
ken : Right…
Host : (laughs) And with that…
ken : It’s got the feel of being in a gondola, doesn’t it… Maybe in Chile? (laughs)
Host : That’s in South America.
ken : Yeah, South America.
Host : Yes. So… (laughs), please introduce the song…
ken : Then… think of Chile during Jojoushi.
(Jojoushi plays)
Host : (laughs) That might be rather Chile-like.
(All laugh)
Host : I can picture the mountains and birds.
ken : That’s what Marco was looking at (laughs). (Note : Marco from the anime 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother; the main character, Marco, wandered around South America searching for his mother.)
Host: FM Osaka Sunday Special L’Arc~en~Ciel AWAKE at Osaka. It’s gone by so fast! But it’s already time to finish up! Please be understanding. For the end, let’s have each of the members, one by one, give a message to the fans who are listening. tetsu-san, if you could please start.
tetsu : OK. Um… I want to see everyone come to the tour.
Host : Thank you very much. yukihiro-san, please?
yukihiro : Let’s keep working together.
Host: Likewise! It’s good to have you around. I’m sure we’ll have lots more fun together. OK! hyde-san?
hyde : Ok. I’m going home, but I’ll be back. See you later. (all laugh)
Host : Make sure your house doesn’t get cold! Ok, thank you very much (laughs). Now, ken-san?
ken : Ok… please be understanding. We were all chatting a lot during the song (much laughing). We’ll work on talking like that even more.
Host : Sorry.
ken : No no, it’s us, it’s us (laughs).
Host : (laughs) Thank you very much. Really. And so there you have it. Next, I guess it’s up to those who bought tickets! You get to see L’Arc~en~Ciel on Wendesday August 17th, Thursday August 18th, Saturday the 20th and Sunday the 21st at Osaka-jo hall for AWAKE tour 2005. Thank you very much, everyone, for being here today.
All : Thanks a lot!
The host goes on to present the next show and close this one. The members say their names one last time, and the show closes.
Transcribed and translated by Natalie Arnold.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat