9. června 2020

Aoi & Uruha GUITAR BOOK: Guitar History Interview ~the GazettE impression~ (pt. 1)

From the Aoi & Uruha Guitar book I bought because I realllly loved RED and wanted to learn how to play it correctly. This is the first interview with the both of them. It's quite informative!

I originally gave this translation to Mou Ichido to post, but I think they forgot about it so I'll post it here.





the GazettE’s Guitar Team, each has a bloom, each has a difference in skill, and compositions from both guitar heroes. Each rock guitarist’s appearance that captures the audience’s fascination in regards to their guitar’s face and the hold their spirit of inquiry has over them in the form of their insatiable desire to improve themselves. In this article, we will take a look at the center of these 2 people, the guitars in the middle of the band who never stop their eternal evolution.

I lose to the burn of combativeness because you’re more like my rival.

I didn’t think that in the future I’d have a dream of becoming a band with them.

- When you first met, what impression did you have of each other?

Aoi: How was it? We first met at a live house right?

Uruha: Right. On Meguro’s Live Stage, our band and Aoi’s band came out. At that time I forgot my wireless* and Aoi let me borrow his.
*Wireless – wireless receiver.

Aoi: Right. I said, “We can share my shabby wireless” (Laughs).

Uruha: The band’s staff was also there, but I think I wasn’t able to borrow a wireless or something from them. But at that time I thought it would be a dream to make a band with this future prospect.

Aoi: At that time, you guys (Uruha, Ruki, Reita) wanted to invite our band’s drummer though… Uruha is the person who stole everything away from me (laugh). But, afterwards, we created the GazettE. It was New Year’s Eve when everyone got together, right?

Uruha: Right. All the members met each other. I wonder why it was on New Year’s Eve that we met (laugh). It was like to decide on the member quickly. However, at that time we were still on very shaky ground, huh?

Aoi: Yeah. The best memory I have was Uruha asking, “when we do lives, do you want to do the upper part or the lower part?” I didn’t care which part so I replied, “either is fine”. Then Uruha said something like, “I want to rise up to the upper part”.


- Was it the first time for you 2 to be using twin guitars?

Aoi: It was the first for me. When I was a middle school student, the group that I played with formed a band with twin guitars, but ever since then it’s always been one guitar. Strictly speaking this is the 2nd time, but this is my first twin guitars with a genuine band.

Uruha: To me, one guitar is not enough. I was doing one guitar but it was painful, I thought twin guitars are better.


- For each of you, as a guitarist what kind of first impression did the other give you?

Uruha: Before we entered the studio, Aoi’s live video bewitched me many times. He seemed like he was very flirty. I thought maybe he was an intense player.

Aoi: Noo, I wasn’t intenseeeeeeee (laugh).

Uruha: You had a nice metal image. You played distortion with muted riffs.

Aoi: Huh? I had that sort of impression?

Uruha: Yeah (laugh). I think you’re a shredding person. Since you were a different type of person I thought something like, “Can I meet with him? I wonder how I can meet him”, I was a becoming uneasy. However I wanted to try to create a band together, actually that was engraved in me.

Aoi: Nah, after I listened to the GazettE’s demo, because it was basically like cutting, I thought it would be better to come together. You see, I was also very charmed by that demo. It was just, at that time I couldn’t do cutting, so I was very troubled (laugh). My impression of Uruha… when it comes to his phrase constructions, it’s the same now but they were very elaborate. Furthermore, in the beginning I was very sort of suspicious. It was already hard being all messy (laugh)! Nah, the GazettE’s hurdle was high (laugh). Still, I kept practicing because of that. Even then, I still can’t play expertly…. so it seems (laugh). I think the songs at that time were really hard to play.

Uruha: I also thought to myself why I do something to that extent that I don’t understand (laugh). The reaction was that the previous the GazettE was a one guitar band, right? This time, we have what you call twin guitars, with two guitars I only have to write one phrase for the upper part and we both play making us an elaborate ensemble. That’s why I’m very thankful for all the dedication and hard work that Aoi put into the reproduction of the demo. I don’t think the approach I thought of was negative.


- With that said, it could be said that Aoi’s style changed when he joined the GazettE.

Aoi: I didn’t change whatsoever. Because that is my playing style and that is the sound I create. With what we were just talking about, I did at first practice when I entered. With that I mean like starting from the solos (laugh)


- Excluding the songs written by Uruha-san, how do you two create guitar parts?

Uruha: Well, at first we only did Ruki’s songs. Ruki would give me a song and I would think of a lot of guitar parts. Although you might say that it wasn’t a very serious delegation, I would propose, “How’s this?” was the type of feeling there was.

Aoi: In the beginning I used to just entrust things to Uruha. It was because I didn’t know what the Gazette-like music was like. Besides the guitar approach that Uruha would come up with was fresh. “What’s this? I thought and thought” was the kind of feeling I had.

Uruha: Which reminds me; you brought a rack case to my house, right? (laughs). You said something like, “What should I do with this gear?” You cried while checking the sound of the gear at my house. Aoi brought this huge refrigerator-like case when he came to the house (laugh).

Aoi: That’s because it was Uruha’s parents' house (laugh).

Uruha: Right (laugh). That would normally bring chills (laugh). You did things like that a lot, huh (laugh).

Aoi: Uruha used Mesa Boogie, right?

Uruha: Was that right? I only remember that I had ESP’s Horizon guitar…


- So using a Mesa Boogie, was Uruha-san capitalizing on the distorted sound created by the amp?

Uruha: Nah. It was because it could sustain effects, I was also using a multi-effector. Since the multi-effector’s output went in alright with the amp, so something like the Mesa Boogie Amp did the job. Basically I used the clean channel; I didn’t use the Mesa Boggie’s nice distortion. There no meaning behind it… I think (laugh). I’m too unworthy (laugh).


- I, I see (laugh). But going back to playing, at the beginning Uruha-san did all of the guitar arrangements?

Aoi: That’s right. Even though right now now I for sure think up phrases, at that time I was really horrible at it (laugh). It’s just that up until then it was very difficult to change the style, it made me suffer. It was rather fun. In regards to the phrases that Uruha came up with, I would think to myself how I should play this which was a new experience for me.

Uruha: I was also enjoyed what Aoi would come up with. Because it was very interesting when I would propose a phrase, and then Aoi’s finger habits would change the nuance. After hearing it, I’d also have to mend my own part. That sort of thing was really fun.


Zdroj:https://phoenixshin.livejournal.com/10720.html?fbclid=IwAR3KE-Kl_cT3Fsm0SlyTb8q9ojO9lYXOCELsyiSgP4RoCLQG1_c-P0tz96M

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat