13. července 2024

Mackenyu's Aspirations to Step out to Hollywood

 


"The world has taken interest in Japanese content. The success of Shang-Chi proves that an Asian star could lead a big hit movie, which was unprecedented before. Now is the best time to be part of Japanese manga adaptations. Whether I can ride that wave or not, I don't have any specific actor/work to aim for. I'm only thinking about how far I can go. My new goal is to become the person I will aim for decades from now."

This interview was conducted before Arata went abroad to start his overseas activities. After Fullmetal Alchemist, the release & distribution order of his next projects will be as the lead in the Knights of the Zodiac movie and as Roronoa Zoro in the One Piece Netflix series.

"Speaking of US comic books, I love the Umbrella Academy. I do want to be part of a US comic adaptation someday, playing characters with supernatural powers. I'm also attracted to settings like Stranger Things, where a child with supernatural ability is isolated from the world."

After his enthusiastic performance as Enishi in Rurouni Kenshin The Final, Mackenyu is entrusted to bring Scar in live action. 

 "I'm doing the best I can in every role, but portraying Scar's presence is difficult. I wanted to speak (to the audience) even when he's not doing anything. A cool villain always has a weakness & a painful past. It's similar to Enishi. That's why they're interesting. One facial expression can convey meanings because of their past. He may be a villain from the hero's side, but through his POV, there's a completely different story."

From the start, he & Yamada who plays Ed conveyed their thoughts and combined ideas.

"Since our first scene was an all out fight, we were able to get in right away. It takes time to build the relationship & feel, but it went smoothly because we fought it out from the start."

Scar's fighting style is rough, smashing enemy's face with his "right arm of destruction". To express it, VFX & body movements have to be fused. "I enjoyed consulting with the director. The CGI is on a scale I've never done before. It's difficult to act with only green screens."

Mackenyu sometimes requested to switch CGI sequences to wire action during filming day. "I don't want to rely on CGI if I can do it. Everyone will have a hard time putting the effects, so it'd be great if I could cover as much as I can. If I couldn't, then I wouldn't do it."


Zdroj:https://www.tumblr.com/mackenyu-archives

 


Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat