7. ledna 2024

TETSUGAKU 21 : NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, GIRLS

 


This chapter contains spoilers for Neon Genesis Evangelion, both the TV series and movies. If you have not yet seen the series and plan to do so, you might want to save this chapter for later. If you don’t plan on seeing it, you might want to read up on it nonetheless.
– How did you first encounter Neon Genesis Evangelion?(1)
[I think that was a rerun too, just like with Gundam. They’re on in the middle of the night, the reruns. It was the first rerunning. I think it was in the winter or spring of 1997. I ran across it late at night and said “What the heck’s this?” (laughs). There’s no way those things are angels, right? “What the hell? This is weird,” and I kinda made fun of it. I didn’t clue in to the fact that the Evangelion is a robot right away. Once I found out it was called an artificial human, I started to understand, including why those things were called angels, but when I was watching without knowing anything, I kept going “Huh?”]
– You started from the beginning?
[I must have. I happened to catch episode 1 or 2 and watched it from there, making the people around me get into it, too. Then, at a toy store, they had a figurine of Ayanami Rei. I spotted it and thought “Ah, it’s Rei-chan.” The show had already been popular for a while, but like I said, I was watching reruns. There really aren’t many people who first saw it with the reruns. I only know three people who did, myself included.]
– What was it about the show that captivated you?
[Which aspects? …… (L’Arc~en~Ciel’s activities were on hiatus at the time) I didn’t have much to do in 1997. I had nothing to do, and the company had told me not to go out too much. I always had to stay secluded at home. Also, even though I had nothing to do with it, what had happened was blamed on me since I’m the leader. It was the perfect time to watch Evangelion, since it synchronized with my mental state.]
– Did you have a high sync ratio?
[Yeah (laughs). I felt close to Asuka. I mentally dubbed myself into her place. That girl acts strong, but in reality, she’s a fragile, nice girl. However, she won’t let herself show weakness to others. But people can only see what’s on the surface, so she can’t help but be thought of as a selfish brat. I’ve had similar experiences, so I see myself in Asuka.]
– When you think of Asuka, red comes to mind. Char is red, Asuka is red.
[That’s true, Asuka’s red, isn’t she?]
– tetsu-san, is there a scene from Evangelion that particularly stuck with you, or that you particularly like?
[Scenes I like… For the TV series, when Touji pilots Unit 05 (2), fights Shinji, and at the end you see the Entry Plug get crushed. Then, they show Unit 05’s Entry Plug, and Shinji spots Touji and screams “AAAAAAH!” right as it ends. That whole scene. That’s my pick. For the movies, Asuka’s “I’ll kill you, I’ll kill you, I’ll kill you, I’ll kill you……” part. “I’ll kill you,” in an anime (laughs). It’s awesome. Oh, you know Misato-san’s blue Renault?(3) In some scenes the handle is on the right, and in others it’s on the left. That’s sort of annoying. “Make up your minds!” Also, it’s in 2014, right? But they still have the same public phones as we do now. I thought “There’s no way they’re still gonna be using 1997’s phones in 2014!” while I was watching.]
– As usual, you watch with a cold eye.
[When they don’t bother with the details, it leaves me cold. For anything. But when it comes to Evangelion, I can call myself cold, but compared to some other people, I’m crazy about it. Especially since I’ve brought it up on stage.]
– But of course, you kept supporting the series until the end.
[Yeah. I went to see the movie three or four times in the theatre. I’ve bought a lot of merchandise, too. I even got up early to go buy the limited edition figures they were only selling at the theatre in Ginza (laughs).]
– What year was it released, again?
[It played in 1997, in the summer and fall. Also, L’Arc~en~Ciel’s first comeback single, Niji, was touched by Evangelion.]
– Is that so?! Was it your idea, tetsu-san?
[Not really. The jacket for Niji has an Eva sort of sense to it, doesn’t it? Also, in the lyrics, the phrase “Subete wa Shinjitsu to tomo ni aru” (4) appears. That was one of Kaji-san’s lines that I suggested we use. Using that quote was a sign of respect, and it became a sort of motif.]
– I see. I never knew that before! This has been a very interesting talk.
[Really? I’d have thought everyone would notice. I wonder if anyone will lose interest when they find out?]
– tetsu-san, did you run out to buy the Evangelion DVD box that came out recently?
[Ah, that’s right. It came out last March, right? But I already have all the laserdiscs and DVDs, so even if they have extras with the box, I don’t think I really have a reason to go buy it. “You want me to buy it again?!” I haven’t bought it, but I’ve heard a lot of talk about how it’s worth buying just to have the case. I thought “Uh oh, I should go buy it,” but they aren’t selling it anymore. I searched a lot, but there’s nothing. I might be able to find it in an auction, but that comes at a premium. I don’t want to pay extra for it…… Aah~ I want it!]
– When you were a kid, did you take notice of Valentine’s Day or anything?(1)
[I hated Valentine’s Day. In elementary school. That day depressed me. I didn’t like the idea of going to school and expecting to be given something. I took that day off. Maybe I was too self-conscious. And of course, any guy who got chocolate would be made fun of by the ones who didn’t. So I hid whatever I got.]
– Sounds like you were one of the tough kids. So, did you ever run around flipping up skirts?
[I’ve never flipped a single skirt. And I never pick up girls either.]
– Is it because your aesthetic sense won’t permit it?
[No, it’s just that I’ve never met a girl who makes me want to hit on her. It’s not that I think it’s wrong or anything. But really, if I happen to run into someone I want to get to know better, I think it’s enough just to talk.]
– Sometimes you only get one chance, though. But even if you don’t normally flirt, I’m sure you must at least notice girls.
[Yeaaah, of course I do. Even though I don’t totally understand myself. I like cute people, you know? More than just what’s done with the face, I think full body balance is important. Body shape too; knowing when to lose weight is part of that balance. I think thinner is better.]
– Are there certain mannerisms or facial expressions you find cute in a girl?
[A sulky look, maybe……]
– Doesn’t that face usually come when a spoiled girl doesn’t get what she wants?
[No (laughs).]
– tetsu-san, when you think someone is cute, do you tell them “You’re cute” at all?
[I tell them.]
– Is that so? That’s good. And then, once you find a girl you like, her fashion sense becomes an important point, right?
[It does matter. When I look at someone, I hate seeing obvious brand names on them, and I don’t like to see them carry easily recognisable bags or purses. From the moment I spot the brands, I turn a bit cold. Well, I don’t hate brands, personally. I just refuse to buy anything too obvious.]
– Then it’s better not to wear that sort of thing, but still not look like you’re poor. If you can do that, you can relax.
[That’s right. The concept is cheap (laughs). If you really think something is nice, then go ahead and wear it.]
– (laughs) So, what kind of fashion do you like to see?
[Nothing in particular. If it suits that person, then it’s good. There’s no need to buy imported brands, and it’s ok even if it’s not expensive. I like both pants and skirts. It’s kind of hard to put into words… Clearly, there’s fashion I like, and fashion I hate. Not konsaba (2), not gal (3) … Ah, I got it! I think it’s best if she looks good in cute overalls.]
– That’s pretty specific.
[Before, at Prada in Aoyama, I watched a girl doing a talent show, and she was wearing incredibly cute overalls. I like clothes, so I can usually tell more or less where things were bought, but that time I was thinking “Where did you get that? Tell me!” The design, the shape, the colour, the fabric, they were all very cute. And it suited her. I don’t know anything else about that girl, and it’s been more than half a year since then, but she’s burned into my mind. If she hadn’t been dressed like that at the time, I don’t think I’d have been so captivated.]
– She left quite an impression on you, indeed. How about for personality? Which type do you like : someone talkative, or someone quiet?
[I’d rather have a talkative girl. Since I don’t talk much myself. I like people who have a lot to say. I’ll talk if someone talks to me. That way we could have fun together.]
– If you spot a girl you get a good feeling from, do you take the initiative and approach her?
[Hmmm, that really goes case by case, doesn’t it? Well, I guess it naturally happens pretty often. I don’t persistently pursue a person or anything like that, though.]
– Ah, I understand. So, have you ever had your life bogged down by a huge heartbreak, or any experiences like that?
[I don’t let it get me down, but I’ve experienced many heartbreaks. After all, I’m already 34 (laughs).]
-Interviewer : Harada Sachi
Translated by Natalie Arnold
.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat