27. července 2023

CHRONICLE 03 – L’ARC~EN~CIEL FEATURING YUKIHIRO

 


This is a translation of a reprint of an interview that originally appeared in an item published by Sony Magazines. It accompanied the release of ectomorphed works. Familiarity with that album as well as other remixes that appeared on the 1999-2000 era singles is reccomended. This was reprinted for the Box Set of The 15th anniversary in formation. The translation is based on the reprinted version.
BEGIN INTERVIEW
He is already renowned as a remixer. For yukihiro, the drummer, this first L’Arc remix album, ectomorphed works, is an opportunity to discover a new side to their hits and to put the depth of their work on display. Let us obtain an explanation of the importance of each track from the artist himself.

ectomorphed works, the first remix album in L’Arc~en~Ciel’s history, features a neologism in its title, (Analyzed directly, ectomorphed means “recreated from the outside” and as so suggested, the artist has indeed made his decisive mark upon the songs by putting his hand to them from the outside in. Now, the details of the ten tracks that appear below were divulged by yukihiro, who alone applied his hand to the original works for this recreation. On the day following the album’s completion, it appeared that he had something to conceal. He was, of course, exhausted the previous night, telling us “I realized I’d fallen asleep with my shoes on… that’s how tired I was.” with a characteristic laugh that tells volumes about his satisfactory completion of the work, truly expressive as always.

● larva {ectomorphed long mix}
yukihiro [(In response to the question “Were you sure that this would become the opening track?”) I guess so. ‘Cause it’s instrumental. I wanted to make it long. I like Underworld (1) and… They have songs with a singing part, and the rest of the track just goes on and on, you know. I wanted that kind of ambiance. The track has blocks where there’s a bit more or a bit less sound, right. It didn’t give me much trouble when I was making it.]
● trick {new^2 wave of japanese heavy metal mix}
yukihiro [A revised edition? That’s what it is. It doesn’t really have much of a concept. I just wanted to remix it, again. If I’m going to have a chance to release it again, then I want to remix it again. This song is kind of hard to work with. There’s all kinds of kicks in it, so it’s hard to get deep enough in to figure out which one should be emphasized when. And the subtitle, I thought it was a really cool thing to say about this song.]
● Kasou {0628 mix}
yukihiro [It’s got enough sound, compared to the last version. There are more kicks, and more percussion, and I changed the rhythm around a bit. (For me, remixing is) Easier when there’s singing, so-called club music is really monotonous, you know. It’s loop music. It’s easier to showcase when there’s singing. It’s easier for the listener to appreciate too, I think.]
● fate {everybody knows but god mix}
yukihiro [The subtitle is ‘everybody knows but god’. It’s the opposite of the saying ‘god only knows’. So it’s a twist, saying ‘everybody knows fate, except god.’ For this one, I had ken-chan play some new guitar parts. First I made a simple synth version with rhythm and bass for him, and went “Here, play something.” He gave it back and I edited it… I wanted to try making a remix like that. ] (When approached about this style of music creation, ken called it “correspondence style”. /laughs)
● Shinshoku ~lose control~ {ectoborn mix}
yukihiro [This is the only song that I really want to do over. I don’t think the last one was cool. Of course, at the time, I did think it was cool, but now I look at it again, and as a remixer I think it was pretty amateurish. But honestly, a bit after I made the last one I thought “Oops, what did I do…” (laughs). I went into it thinking “I wanna do this differently” so I decided to put ‘ecto’ in as part of the title.]
● a swell in the sun {system in chaos mix}
yukihiro [Here, the subtitle alone is ‘chaos’ right. My image of chaos? It makes me think of… putting it simply, it’s a ‘snowstorm’, like on TV. Only more twisted, and more solid. I used to dream about it a lot, when I was a kid. I dreamed about how it would twist around me. I don’t dream about that anymore (laughs). Honestly, I haven’t listened to the completed final track yet, but when I was making it I thought “Hey this is sounding pretty good.” But I wasn’t really adding much new sound. This is how I wanted it to sound in the first place, yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s it.]
● l’heure {quiet afternoon mix}
yukihiro [After chaos comes floating? Yes it does. It’s got the atmosphere of a quiet afternoon. It’s the same for any song, but I think the bass and drums are what’s important for creating the atmosphere, with this kind of sound. I try to take care, with that in mind. In this song, it’s like the drums are floating on the bass. The sound the drums make, it’s really quite dry. It’s not about my own preference in sound, this one is about creating a world.]
● cradle {down to the moon mix}
yukihiro [(When asked about how this remix has ‘moon’ where a previous one had ‘earth’) Well yes (laughs). I wanted it to ‘float’ more. I thought, I want this one to go to space (laughs). I added some female vocals here. hyde’s voice is Japanese, hers is English, see. At first I thought simply, they would work together, back and forth. It’s kind of tricky to work with, you know, with rap. When the girl is singing normally and I licked into a rap, and stuff. I think it’s really cool.]
● Shinjitsu to Gensou to {out of the reality mix #2}
yukihiro [In this one, the second half sounds like a draw. At first I thought it should be more, I didn’t know more what, exactly, but it felt like it needed to be more. But, then when I laid it out I thought it would be hard to listen to. This is a “sequel” anyway, so it’s not about adding or removing sound. I did a lot with it, but it still matches the previous one, it just brings more to the table. It’s not about thinking “I’ve gotta change it,” its simply “Can I make this any cooler?”. I had the idea, and it sounded like it would turn out pretty cool so that’s what I did.]
● metropolis {android goes to be a deep sleep mix}
yukihiro [This one is pretty different from the old one. It’s kind of refreshing, I guess. The last one was all “Wooah!” you know (laughs) overall. I wanted to cut back on that, this time. Actually, it’s got one piece less than the other. I took out one part. And it’s actually the last thing that I put into the last one. I thought there was something missing, but that was overdoing it, I felt. In the end, the sound of the piano that I wanted to show off in the last one, it’s more obvious in this version.]

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat